Lynne Siqueland, PhD and Deborah Ledley, PhD
Friday May 19th, 9am to 4pm
This workshop will include an overview of the cognitive behavioral and exposure and response prevention approach for anxiety and OCD in children and teens but will go behind to discuss how to conceptualize and treat complex clinical presentation. We will help guide therapists how to stay on course with the simplicity of the CBT model when the patient's presentation seems complex. We will discuss how to partner with the family when everyone is overpowered by anxiety, or stuck in a pattern of reassurance and avoidance. We will focus on less typical presentations of OCD and axiety across the age span and will address common comorbitdies like depression and emotion regulation difficulties.
1. Describe a case conceptualization method that takes into account comorbidity and motivation issues.
2. Describe strategies for engaging children and adolescents in treatment when anxiety is extreme or when motivation is low
3. List examples of treatment plans that allow clinicians to prioritize among multiple issues and re-evaluate plans regularly.
4. Describe specific examples of family based interventions to address particularly the parents’ role in maintaining anxiety.
5. Describe specific examples of family-based interventions to address particularly the parents’ role in maintaining anxiety.
6. Review decision making tools that can be used to consider when to include adjunct strategies including pharmacology and when to consider more intensive treatment approaches.
We will use numerous case examples to illustrate these issues and invite participants to bring cases and questions from their work to discuss at the workshop
Location: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, City Line Ave, Philadelphia
Cost: $199 professional, $50 student fee with valid ID. Reduced fee for group of 3 or more coming together- $25 off for referring a friend
Continuing education: The Children’s and Adult Center for OCD and Anxiety is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists The Children’s and Adult Center for OCD and Anxiety maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Participants will earn 6 CE hours for completing this workshop.
Please feel free to email Lynne Siqueland, Training cooordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate interest or for questions and to receive brochure and regisration form
Dr. Ledley and Dr Siqueland are also open to repeating our workshop on perfectionism with new cases if there is sufficient interest, so let us know about this or ideas for other topics of interest